Thursday, August 6, 2009

New homeschool year

I'm realizing that a new year is quickly upon us, and I'm not ready mentally or physically (in terms of materials needed.) Hmmm...could it be that the fact that we're moving in the near future have anything to do with it? Homeschool prep has taken a backseat while we've been all wrapped up in the upcoming move to our new home (with a laundry list of projects and things that need to be fixed.) So, here's what we have so far for school:

Explode the Code (Phonics)
Saxon Math 3 (Ryan started this in April)
Horizons Math 2 (Sarah started this in May)
Reading (various books at their own pace)

What's needed:

Bible
Mystery of History (99% sure I'll use this for the coming year)
Grammar
Spelling
Writing
Science

I'm looking into a pattern based writing program HERE but I may opt for something completely different like Daily Grams or ???? I think we're going to focus on lots of fun reading for science, at the recommendation of a science teacher from church. He recommended not using textbooks and reading about a lot of different subjects. We'll probably sprinkle this with science experiments that are age appropriate and some field trips. I'm still looking for just the right Bible program that is age appropriate. I want lots of discussion but no workbooks (I think.) Apparently I have some work to do to get us ready. I better get on that quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment