Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The BEST pesto EVER


Well, there's almost nothing I love more (as far as food goes) than fresh, homemade pesto (slathered on like lotion, but I digress). I think it's pretty much the yummiest thing and my dear friend Jen came over last night for a "pesto party." I had gone to a local farm and picked a bunch of basil and then paid my ds to go out in our garden and pick me a bag as well. After little man went to bed we set up our assembly line and started filling my Vita-Mix (the best blender EVER) and went to work. By the time we were done we had filled 10 pint freezer containers with "green gold." We shared many jokes about how much we love pesto. Some I can't share here, but trust me, they were funny. We always say we wish it was a lotion because we love the smell of the garlic, cheeses, olive oil and basil all together-yum. I highly recommend the following recipe--it's no fail, so yummy and makes use of that basil in your garden that's about to or is going to seed. I love pesto on pasta, sandwiches (instead of the other condiments), and especially on toasted crostini. I'm hungry. This recipe is from Susan Branch's book, "Heart of the Home", page 79.
Pesto
2-3 cups (I think I lean toward at least 3) fresh basil
3 TBSP toasted pine nuts
2 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/2 c Parmesan cheese (preferably from a wedge-not pre grated)
1/4 c Romano cheese (same preference as above)
2/3 c extra virgin olive oil (the darker the better)
2 TBSP butter
Toast the pinenuts in the butter. Grate the cheeses. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Freeze or refrigerate. Try to stop yourself from licking the inside of the blender...and your fingers...and the counter...and the spatula.

No comments:

Post a Comment