Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First day of school!

A good way to start any day...

It's 9:00am--time to start school!

The four of us--Daddy's at work
End of the day art--experimenting with mixing primary colors and just having fun!


Well, we did it! We made it through our first day of homeschool, and I think it went pretty well in hindsight. Right...there were those two hours right in the middle of trying to do read-alouds with the kids that Matthew was crying pretty much non-stop because he's cutting teeth...BUT, overall, I feel good about our day. I talked to both the kids individually through the course of the afternoon to have some time with each of them and see how they felt about everything. Ryan said he loved everything and he's especially excited about math and science. He and Sarah are both great readers so that part will come easily for them. I talked to Sarah and asked her what she thought was the most fun part of the day. (This conversation followed some discipline about a grumpy attitude toward picking up her things before she could watch some TV). She said "none of it was fun." Ok, wow, now all the anxiety I was feeling all day welled up inside me and I just started crying :-)! This made her even more upset so then we were both crying! We snuggled and talked about how she can't go back to preschool (that she absolutely LOVED) because she's in kindergarten now, yadda, yadda, yadda. The enemy is so very sneaky and presents himself in our own self doubts and that inner voice that constantly makes us question everything we do as parents and sometimes comes through the questions of others. That happened as well and my sweet sister reminded me to put it out of my head! Any success we may have is only by God's grace and I will freely give him all the glory for it. So, day one of homeschooling...check!

No comments:

Post a Comment