Wednesday, September 5, 2007

No guarantees...

We just returned from the funeral of a Dad from the kids' Montessori school they attended the previous three years. There are two awesome Hawaiian families and of Ryan's eight classmates two of the kids were part of Ryan's class (cousins-a boy and a girl). This nice Dad died of a heart attack the day after his 37th birthday while playing softball with his sweet wife and friends. It was shocking (it happened almost two weeks ago now) and his service was today. As you all know, I have a soft spot for all things Hawaiian, and this family is no exception. They are tight knit, kind, loving, not to mention just beautiful! The service was awesome (what I heard of it from out in the lobby with my three squirrely kids). There were sweet readings, a hula in honor of Alii, and an awesome pastor who did the service (and was their cousin). I felt privileged to be present as a family experienced the deepest grief they've ever known. Afterward we went inside to greet Mahea (the wife and mom of one of Ryan's classmates) and didn't notice until it was too late that both the kids were hovering over Alii's open casket. I think I said out loud "Oh, no!" Too late. Next thing I know they're stroking his face and asking questions (they were standing with the son who was in Ryan's class). Oh my, so now we're having THAT talk and how do you explain to a 5 and almost 7 year old that sometimes people are cremated and their ashes are spread in a favorite place? Ryan's friend (the son) mentioned that they're "taking him to Hawaii next week and putting him in the ocean". I pretty much told them that they were too young for me to explain all of it and now Sarah thinks that they're putting his "head, tummy and ears" in the ocean. "I think the sharks are going to eat him". Oh, my. All that aside, life is short. It's cliche, I know, but there are no guarantees that we'll get another day with the people we love. It can mess with my head sometimes, especially when someone that I know dies, that it could all be over for any of us, in a moment. Does that give you perspective? It does to me. Hug and kiss the ones you love extra hard today. You never know what the next minute will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment